Initiative For Youth Empowerment on Transformation
About the Initiative for Youth Empowerment and Transformation (IYET)
The Initiative for Youth Empowerment and Transformation (IYET) is an advocacy and dialogue group associated with the Youth Forward initiative, a program being implemented in Ghana and Uganda in partnership with the MasterCard Foundation. This engagement platform advocates for improved and diversified economic opportunities for young people involved in agriculture. Through repeated interactions with various stakeholders, IYET seeks to address the issues of youth in agriculture, enabling stakeholders to better understand and respond to the needs of youth in agriculture in Uganda.
To advocate for improved and diversified economic opportunities for young people involved in agriculture
- Ensure that youth in agriculture issues are embedded within broader national and sector contexts in Uganda.
- Create a platform for young people’s voices to be heard
- Strengthen programming, policy and research of youth in agriculture
IYET Membership includes:
- Ministry of Gender Labor and Social Development (MGLSD),
- Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF),
- Ministry of Education and Sports, Science and Technology (MOES),
- Office of the Prime Minister (OPM),
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives (MTIC),
- National Planning Authority (NPA),
- National Youth Council (NYC),
- Private Sector Foundation of Uganda (PSFU),
- Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA),
- Makerere University Faculty of Agriculture,
- Youth Empowerment Through Agriculture (YETA),
- Driving Youth-led New Agribusiness and Micro-enterprise (DYNAMIC),
- Development Research and Training (DRT)
- Youth representatives.
IYET holds meetings every four months to:
- Provide mechanisms to link the Youth Forward initiative to national policy processes and influential stakeholders such as government, the private sector, financial service providers, nongovernmental organizations, young people and other stakeholders.
- Advice on how the initiative can relate to public and private sector policies to enhance the sustainability of the initiative after the program period is over. The YFC will operate as a national-level youth sector policy engagement group on general issues of youth employment, agriculture and livelihoods in Uganda.